Official Tarot Deck Up For Pre-Order

Geekify has finally posted their long-awaited official Tarot Deck up for pre-order. These are expected to ship in December before the holidays. A whopping 78 pieces of brand new Neopets art were developed specifically for these cards. You can see previews of some of them below.

According to longtime Neopets artist Anthony Conley, all pre-orders before November 1st "will receive some special exclusives made for the launch of the deck."

Featuring a full set of 78 unique foiled cards and a diverse cast of Neopian heroes, villains, and inhabitants, this Tarot deck is packed with gorgeous art, familiar landscapes, and deep-rooted meanings and symbolism for helping to reframe your queries, and give new insight into what’s on your mind. Each deck comes with a guide book to assist in interpreting the cards and explore their deeper meanings.

Designed by Aimee Scholz, Anthony Conley, and Katie Olson, the Neopets Tarot deck is a collaborative effort based largely on a traditional Rider-Waite tarot set, with many overlapping themes and visuals. The illustrated guidebook has an explanation and synopsis of each card, as well as a few primers on common reading spreads and methods.

Anthony has also provided some additional previews of some of the art:

Unfortunately, discount codes do not apply on this Tarot Deck, but each Tarot Deck still comes with a rare item code. Anthony added that "Geekify is gunning to do something special with the code" but it is unknown exactly what at this time. We will keep you updated once we have more information.

* Giving friend a reading *

“Mmhmm. Mmhmm. Yes. In your future position I see… Dr. Sloth. Don’t worry, this doesn’t always mean something bad will happen. I think.”
by dadylman on August 18, 2022 4:37 AM NST

"Geekify is gunning to do something special with the code"

Inb4 more NFTs. But in all seriousness - man, this is the first Neopets merch in a looooong while I've actually wanted.
by falsely on August 18, 2022 4:50 AM NST

Man I want these but none of neopets merch sites are accessible to non northern Americans so I can't afford to double the price of an item on shipping alone.
they make it so hard for international users to fincnaclly support new merch outside of nfts, which I'm never gonna waste my time on.
by kaimactrash on August 18, 2022 5:07 AM NST

These do not represent the symbolic art of a tarot deck at all. No serious reader would use these. It has appeal as neopets collectible merchandise.
. .
by roshchodesh on August 18, 2022 5:45 AM NST

Based on the past track record, I will not be putting any money into this project. I have giftees in mind, but my money goes to it not being ready for the holidays, or being rushed and becoming a mess. They ALL need to get some practical things around here accomplished first. I have zero faith in this company doing anything other than grubbing around for more money.
by rosamooooo on August 18, 2022 6:07 AM NST

Wow these look so beautiful. I would be interested in getting it for the Neopian art alone.
I have no skill in tarot card readings but I love how pretty some of the decks are I just get them for the art itself. As they are a great source of inspiration.
by hotarukaiba on August 18, 2022 6:37 AM NST

Oh nice! And interesting! I love my current Tarot deck , but a new one could be fun!
by phenixia on August 18, 2022 7:21 AM NST

Am I the only one quite annoyed by all the 'merch' they're putting out recently instead of dealing with the rather glaring problems with the website? I'm kinda getting 'nothing to see here folks' vibes.

Granted, I still haven't heard back from my ticket because I can't access my account or even receive emails from Neopets, so my vision my be clouded...
by cobaltncalcium on August 18, 2022 7:46 AM NST

roshchodesh > water faerie seems fine for Ace of Cups; VIII traditionally depicts a lion, so a noil is perfect; can't see four of wands very well.

Page of Wands...well, Jhudora is holding a wand?

Wands are associated with fire, and I see ten candles on the ten card.

The additional art looks like I and XII to me.

Passes muster on my end, and it's pretty cool looking, too!
by novelista on August 18, 2022 8:41 AM NST

When they said they were bringing out new cards this year I thought they meant TCGs.
by remy on August 18, 2022 9:04 AM NST

Oh neat! Maybe I'll consider it... FIFTY BUCKS?! Whoo, I'm not so sure on that price, especially on something I would be only getting for the novelty (in December, and with a rare item code I have no clue what will be used for).

JN, do you have someone who'll scan all the new artwork to put on the Image Database? That's all I'm really interested in. Like already the Four of Wands shows an interesting depiction of a political meeting between Maraqua (Kelpbeard & Isca), Shenkuu (Emperor of Shenkuu), and Tyrannia (Kyruggi). Would be interesting to see if there were any other fun interactions (though not sure if worth $50).

@ cobaltncalcium:
I don't think the merch people really have anything to do with the site side of things.
by pikachu315111 on August 18, 2022 9:23 AM NST

i wish i had money

@remy same!
by hdawg1995 on August 18, 2022 9:28 AM NST

The art is gorgeous, holy moly <3 I love this so muuuuuuch
by parody_ham on August 18, 2022 9:31 AM NST

"neopets Tarot card" is so funny I just might get it

I do not believe in or care much for tarot so I never bought a set, but the cards are often very very pretty. Very glad they made new art for this!
by serpentshrine on August 18, 2022 11:40 AM NST

Excited for this. Geekify did a great job with the art and making it very authentic.
by ninetendogamecube on August 18, 2022 11:41 AM NST

TAKE MY MONEY!!
by mavegibson on August 18, 2022 11:43 AM NST

Not all decks have the original symbolism in them. I have seven decks now and have been reading for over 20 years. Not all of them work well for me, but that's the nature of how it works. But the ones that work the best do not have the original rider-waite symbols. Out of the box my Disney Vilnians deck was super accurate. But that's just for me. The same deck might do nothing for someone else. *shrug*
by insane000illusions on August 18, 2022 11:46 AM NST

They look nice.. but why do they seem more like a regular deck of playing cards (with the xx of wands etc.) to me than tarot cards? Couldn't they come up with a queen, a death and a wheel?
by apophis324 on August 18, 2022 12:54 PM NST

(I can. Fyora, Dr. Death, Wheel of Excitement: Boom)
by apophis324 on August 18, 2022 12:55 PM NST

@ cobaltncalcium 'Am I the only one quite annoyed by all the 'merch' they're putting out recently instead of dealing with the rather glaring problems with the website?'

Why, no, you are not alone. Not at all. You're right on the money (pun intended) with 'nothing to see here'.
Forget about the years of broken stuff on a broken site we never fix.... OOOoo look here, pretty things!
by roshchodesh on August 18, 2022 12:58 PM NST

Long before Rider Waite, loooong before.
by roshchodesh on August 18, 2022 1:00 PM NST

Love to see new art and artists being supported, etc.

I doubt this project has had much impact on or used many resources from the core team and the website, but it definitely sucks that pretty much all Neo news these days is about merch and other off-site ventures when it's still crickets on HTML5 conversion, etc, etc, etc.
by kiriska on August 18, 2022 1:08 PM NST

@roshchodesh we'll just have to agree to disagree then. It's not about the tools it's about the person using them. And if someone wants to use these then there is no need in gate keeping
by insane000illusions on August 18, 2022 1:09 PM NST

How does $50 compare to other sets out there ? I hope the $50 includes shipping
by premium17 on August 18, 2022 3:01 PM NST

@insane000illusions - I agree with you. What matters is what people feel a connection to, and if they feel a connection to this deck who is anyone to judge? Especially since we haven't actually had a chance to look at the full deck yet.
by mavegibson on August 18, 2022 3:56 PM NST

@premium17 Shipping is $9.99 flat rate
by rozzy on August 18, 2022 4:07 PM NST

Where can we purchase the deck for pre order
by absolutejudith on August 18, 2022 4:56 PM NST

@ insane000illusions:
Actually, forgive my ignorance, while I of course think the cards should reflect the original symbols in some way (which, as novelista pointed out, most seem like they're doing), at the same time does the art on the card really matter for card reading? Of course you'll want nice art to look at to emphasize the performance, but the art doesn't change the meaning of the card. As long as you know what card you're look at, which is plainly printed on the card, and the card material is good quality for shuffling, stacking, and drawing, I don't see the major problem if the card art takes liberties with some of its illustrations (judging by Ace of Cups and Four of Wands, it looks like for some cards it would just be the number of characters which would match the number of the card with possibly little relevance to the suit's name). That said, some of the artwork may be focusing on the meaning of the card than the traditional Rider–Waite artwork. From what I read off Wikipdia:

* Ace of Cups: Represents issues of love, intimacy, deeper feelings, and compassion; as well as a gift or opportunity forthcoming. The card depicts Marina, the Healing Fountain Faerie, a no better representation of compassion. When you go to her she can either heal you (opportunity) or give you a healing potion (gift).
* Four of Wands: Is said to reflect harmony and positive feelings, hard work with good results; even Completion or New beginnings. The card depicts a diplomatic gathering of three Neopian lands, everyone in good spirits as documents are being signed; likely peace & alignment treaties. It's a completion of likely what was a lot of hard work for a new beginning in global cooperation.
* Page of Wands: Represents ambition, taking chances, taking action, & wanting to expand yourself; you have the drive, desire, and willpower to (re)discover yourself. Jhudora may be an odd choice for a positive sounding card, but what the card represents are all things which Jhud
by pikachu315111 on August 18, 2022 5:50 PM NST

Jhudora may be an odd choice for a positive sounding card, but what the card represents are all things which Jhudora promises her loyal questers will be rewarded with. She's is a Dark Faerie, has a very nasty temper and dangerous power, but for those willing to take the risk and stick with her the more powerful her rewards become; just remember to be quick!
* Ten of Wands: Means challenging burdens, intense pressure, and having taken too much responsibility; overloaded and feeling oppressed. Jerdana, usually seen with a smile and youthful glow, is shown here with a stern frown and face covered in shadow looking over a table of sprawled documents (one notably of the Altador constellations), candles, and her wand. What she's doing must be very serious and she herself doesn't seem so sure of things, could be she bit off more than she could chew and feeling the overburden.

@ apophis324:
These are just a sampling, and the Minor Arcana does make up the majority of the cards. We do see three of the Major Arcana though: Illusen & a Noil for Strength (8), Seradar likely for Magician (1), and TDMBGPOP for the Hanged Man (12). If I were to take a crack at the other characters:

The Fool (0) - Hanso, High Priestess (2) - Fyora, Empress (3) - Amira, Emperor - Skarl, Hierophant (5) - Hagan, Lovers (6) - Nabile & Jazan, Chariot (7) - Torakor in an Alabriss pulled chariot, Hermit (9) - Sophie or Ilere, Wheel of Fortune (10) - Wheel of Excitement, Justice (11) - Judge Hog, Death (13) - The Bringer, Temperance (14) - Jhuidah, Devil (15) - Sloth, Tower (16) - Darigan Citadel, Star (17) - Mira/Space Faerie, Moon (18) - Virtupets Space Station hovering over Kreludor with Grundos looking in fear, Sun (19) - Siyana over the city of Altador, Judgement (20) - The Oracle addressing the Faction leaders, World (21) - Psellia flying accompanied by a batch of flying Neopets (Uni, Pteri, Eyrie, Lenny, Scorchio, Shoryu, Korbat, etc.).

@ premium17:
Well sets on Amazon (using the traditio
by pikachu315111 on August 18, 2022 5:51 PM NST

@ premium17:
Well sets on Amazon (using the traditional artwork) goes for between $6 & $25. Quality, style, and additional stuff affecting the price. I looked up themed tarot cards (like Disney villains) and they go for around the $25 mark.
by pikachu315111 on August 18, 2022 5:56 PM NST

MY EYES!!! THEY BEHOLD BEAUTY!!! 😭😭😭😭😭

I want this so bad!!! But I don’t want to fund the “Neopets Metaverse!”

What do I do!? I feel so conflicted!!! 😭😭😭
by 1jediboy on August 18, 2022 8:04 PM NST

My first thought was pretty much just as what cobaltncalcium wrote:

"Am I the only one quite annoyed by all the 'merch' they're putting out recently instead of dealing with the rather glaring problems with the website? "

Sheesh, they put time and effort in more merchandise, yet they cannot fix anything here on the site? We want the games back, we want the BD fixed, we want the fun site that Neopets used to be back again!

Deplorable TNT, just deplorable.
by contessa on August 18, 2022 8:14 PM NST

The people who produce the merch have nothing to do with what development happens on Neopets.com, so that's not really a fair criticism at all.

This tarot deck is coming from a 3rd party--Geekify--who are a completely separate, independent company that simply licenses the Neopets brand. If these tarot cards weren't being made, the Geekify staff would not be spending time working on Neopets.com. We'd just have a broken website and no merch.
by dave on August 18, 2022 9:57 PM NST JN Staff

pikachu315111: You got pretty creative near the end there. Kudos. You think Geekify would put in that kind of effort?
by apophis324 on August 19, 2022 12:49 AM NST

Thanks Dave, that does make me feel better about all this
by contessa on August 19, 2022 1:54 AM NST

I am already on the slippery slope of buying merch just for the item codes. I spent more on the 4 ComicCon pins than this card set costs. I just don't know ahead of time if the codes give something I want this time.
I have a set of real Tarot cards and have learned how to read them.
by purplebin on August 19, 2022 8:51 AM NST

Apophis: Geekify seem to put in a lot of effort with their merch offerings, so yeah, seems entirely possible.
by herdy on August 19, 2022 11:52 AM NST JN Staff

Re: price, while mass manufactured decks may go for less than $30, most short-run, artist-produced art decks easily go for $65-100. I would guess that Geekify's deck wouldn't have nearly the run as a mass market deck given the extremely niche target audience.
by kiriska on August 19, 2022 1:05 PM NST

@ apophis324:
Thanks! Some of my thoughts when making the list if your curious:
* Even early on I had to make some switch-arounds in order to better match with other cards (like originally I had Nabile as the Empress and Jazan as the Emperor, but I decided they would make the best duo for the Lovers so made the Empress and Emperor the most well known female and male rulers in Neopia, Amira and Skarl respectively).
* Hierophant was the most difficult. High Priestess and Hierophant are essentially female and male Pope/religious leader, which Neopia doesn't really have. HP was easy to just make it the most powerful female character in Neopia, Fyora. But Hierophant? After much thought decided to go a different route, enlightenment than religious, which led me to picking Hagan.
* King Altador could just as well have done for "Chariot" but I feel Altador should have a more "defining" card so picked Torakor.
* While some would have thought the Hidden Tower for "Tower", I knew the Tower is meant to be a card of ill omen. So it needed to be an equally ominous tower, for first on I think of being Darigan Citadel (note I probably would maybe also have something additional happening, like it casting a shadow over Meridell, the famous scene of firing down a rain of Novas, or maybe putting Lord Kass visibly somewhere to make it clear this is when the citadel was under his control).
* "Moon" is also a negative card though Kreludor itself isn't bad, so I thought of having something seemingly bad happening to it which would be the arrival of Sloth upon its Grundo population.
* "Judgement" I got inspiration from the Rider–Waite artwork. Seeing a celestial figure manifesting over people looking up to it just gave me an image of the Faction Leaders looking up at the Oracle.
* "World" I was originally thinking would just be an image of Neopia, but then I saw the Rider–Waite artwork and read what it meant and realized I was in a pickle. Originally still wanting the shot of Ne
by pikachu315111 on August 19, 2022 8:11 PM NST

Originally still wanting the shot of Neopia, I was thinking of having it be Mira in front but I couldn't think of a good replacement for "Star". I then decided to ditch having it show Neopia and instead on the symbolism of the Rider–Waite artwork. A celestial being accompanied by four symbolic things. Psellia is the most well known Air Faerie so I settled on her. Thinking about it now, there should be symbolism with the Neopets flying with her. So I'm making an additional recommendation that it should be six other Neopets all whom Colours reflect the six Faerie Elements: Yellow Uni (Light), Shadow Korbat (Darkness), Red Scorchio (Fire), Blue Elephante (Water), Green Eyrie (Earth), & Cloud Pteri (Air).

As for Geekify putting that much thought into it: YES and probably so much more. Look at who they chose for Strength, Magician, and the Hanged Man. I would have probably not thought of those characters immediately (TDMBGPOP particular a brilliant choice). I probably would have gone more typical like Fauna handling a Noil for Strength, Kauvara for Magician, and maybe Roxton caught in a trap for Hanged Man. With those cards and what they also depicted on a few of the Minor Arcana cards they probably dived deep to figure out what they should depict (I would love to see the list of rejected ideas they had, probably enough to fill a magazine or two; especially if they have some early draft art).

@ kiriska:
... I've got till the end of October to decide. I got a Thieves Guilt patch and Team Meridell pin from them for the novelty, they weren't as expensive but I'm also not using them for anything. Maybe I'll consider it an early holiday present to myself.

JN, can I request you reposting this post on the last week of October as a reminder to everyone they have until November 1st to preorder to get the bonus reward? I'll of course make a personal reminder but other people may like the reminder.
by pikachu315111 on August 19, 2022 8:11 PM NST

@ purplebin:
Hm, I haven't really thought of what the rare item code would be.

What would be REALLY neat would be a BD item, Major Arcana Tarot Deck. You'd "draw a card" and each card would do a different amount of damage/effect. "Magician" would do 5 of each non-Physical Element (a total of 30 icons); "Strength" would do 10 Earth, 10 Physical, and halve all damage done to you that turn; "Hanged Man" would be a 100% Freeze and prevent all damage done to you on that turn.

However I'd be just okay with a Book, "Tarot Card Reading For The Neopian Traveler". Description: Neopia is a big and crazy world, wouldn't hurt for travelers to have some insight on their future adventures. Geekify's Neopets Tarot Cards not included.".
by pikachu315111 on August 19, 2022 8:31 PM NST

@pikachu315111: Ah hahaha, that's some awesome pondering you did there. Makes a lot of sense to me actually. You clearly are more knowledgeable on this subject than me :3 Thanks for writing out your thoughts!
by apophis324 on August 20, 2022 12:19 AM NST

@cobaltncalcium they're really doing an overkill in merch, and most of the is ugly or badly thought through. Like @roshchodesh stated, it's a bad represantation of a tarot deck imo. Since that ugly rug came out with some cushions I can barely find any interesting merch at all. The peak was the jewelry and plushies for me, the rest was just "whatever...", one or two models of that convenience store t-shirts were okay as well.
by ferinsy on August 24, 2022 7:30 PM NST