Neopets Cookbook Coming Soon!

Neopets has just announced a new cookbook in partnership with Andrews McMeel Publishing that is slated for release in Spring of 2023. The cookbook will feature recipes "developed with special attention to the in-game food, history, storylines and themes of Neopia" and will be a great tool for new and expert cooks alike!

"Over the last few years, we've been so impressed by our Neopets community as they used their love of Neopets to cook their own Neopets-inspired recipes," said Michaela Thompson, Marketing Manager of Neopets. "Time and time again, they have inspired us to think of exciting ways to extend the world of Neopets. We're really honored to bring this cookbook to life and can't wait to see what our community will create."

"We're thrilled to be a part of this exciting new launch with the Neopets team," said Kirsty Melville, President and Publisher of Andrews McMeel Publishing. "The world of publishing is more innovative than ever and we see that here with concepts from a virtual game coming alive in a tangible cookbook."
Press Release courtesy of Neopets

What types of recipes do you hope to see?
Let us know in the comments!

Just give us a working site lol
by dietercoke on May 24, 2022 3:19 PM NST

@dietercoke Yeah, no kidding.
by mavegibson on May 24, 2022 3:25 PM NST

I agree with @dietercoke
by beyondelsewhere on May 24, 2022 3:25 PM NST

It's a cute idea
by antimattersofa on May 24, 2022 3:41 PM NST

I do wanna add that I love cooking irl and I would love a Neopets cookbook. My point still stands though and I'm still avoiding giving any money to Neopets, especially since the NFTs, so oh well I guess. Shocked they're not making an NFT cookbook (Neopets please don't steal this idea too we don't want it)
by dietercoke on May 24, 2022 3:43 PM NST

Well at least it's not NFT/Metaverse news.

Hm, what Neopian recipes would I want. Actually, I'd be more interested in what they think the various unique fruits and veggies of Neopia tastes like. Negg (and various colors), Juppie (and various colors), Ummagine, Puntec Fruit, Ptolymelon, the fruit from Mystery Island & Pick Your Own, etc.. Since a lot of Neopian dishes are "made" with their fictional fruit/veggies, only makes sense we know their base taste if they plan on making on of their dishes.
by pikachu315111 on May 24, 2022 3:45 PM NST

personally I'd love it if every few pages were things like Dr. Backwash (ingredients: saliva, seltzer water) and Parts On A Pizza (ingredients: dough, cheese, tomato sauce, pizza delivery guy), but I don't think my sense of humor would sell that well.
by joe on May 24, 2022 3:50 PM NST JN Staff

maybe some of the faerie foods, the different jelly trifles, some of the pizzas, unique fruits, so hard to decide!
by twistedlittledreamer on May 24, 2022 4:01 PM NST

Hubert's hotdogs *drolls* Im curious how do you prepare the "Neopian Central Dog" I guess most will be faerie food.
As long we dont have dung food, its okay ._.
by winterland on May 24, 2022 4:10 PM NST

I can't imagine that this sort of product wouldn't be boring af unless they injected in a huge dose of dumb humor and/or collaborated with one of many actual fans who've already done lots of Neopets-inspired cooking.

And I know it's still a "different team" working on this stuff, but please. Just convert some more damn pages. It's reaaaaaally not that hard.
by kiriska on May 24, 2022 4:13 PM NST

PLEASE give the book a name based on an existing neopets book in world! πŸ“•

THOSE BOOKS MUST BECOME REAL!!! πŸ“š
by 1jediboy on May 24, 2022 4:21 PM NST

@joe If they don't do that, they will be missing a large chunk of us...

Truth told, it would make me more likely to buy it.
by inverted_destiny on May 24, 2022 4:22 PM NST

I really hope that the only people writing this book are veteran Neopets players.

Those are the only people who should be writing Neopets books.
by 1jediboy on May 24, 2022 4:24 PM NST

Yay!!!!
by ninetendogamecube on May 24, 2022 4:37 PM NST

Neopets was an answer in the New York Times Crossword today. 69A Virtual critters since 1999. Publicity?

Not sure if Neopian foods will be featured in the NYT cooking section? I find this to be a very niche idea with a very narrow target audience. Are they thinking this will be as successful as the Harry Potter inspired cookbook? Doubtful.
by faellie_ridiculous on May 24, 2022 4:41 PM NST

@joe that would be the best version and totally awesome

My concern is I'm sure it will be too expensive for the majority of players like everything else they release but I'm still excited to see what they do with it as it's something with good potential.
by seven_dead_owls on May 24, 2022 5:02 PM NST

There are gross foods in Neopia that are real things.
Ice Cream with Balsamic Vinegar for example.

As one who has never put cheese on a slice of Apple pie (tho my Mom loved it) I don't think I'd try the recipes, but it would make interesting reading. And a fun gift for a Neopian.
by topaz644 on May 24, 2022 7:11 PM NST

Make sure there are no Alien Aishas involved in this cookbook's production.
by squirrely520 on May 24, 2022 7:59 PM NST

@joe that would be the only reason for me buying it.

I agree with @dietercoke
by moonlightwitch on May 24, 2022 8:13 PM NST

@ squirrely520:

Alien Aisha: What? But why? We have so many great recipe offerings like Mustard Ice Cream, Mud n Mayo Dip, Pickled Leeches, and a whole slew of Fish Pops and Grub-based foods!
by pikachu315111 on May 24, 2022 8:19 PM NST

i'm just happy it's not NFT related.
by cheetah on May 24, 2022 8:24 PM NST

@pikachu315111 - AND Fish Fingers and Custard.

⧓
by 1jediboy on May 24, 2022 8:32 PM NST

DUNG! Double Dung Hot Dog, Dung ice Cream, Dung Muffin, Dung Pizza, and Spaghetti and Dungballs. Might as well express the Zeitgeist.
by galifan on May 24, 2022 8:54 PM NST

I would love a bunch of the faerie foods, but that's cause I like baking more than cooking. And also Faerieland
by i_love_latin on May 24, 2022 9:25 PM NST JN Staff

If you did a substitution like dung > chocolate mousse, you could make some convincing looking versions.
by minidriver on May 24, 2022 9:50 PM NST

What if it had instructions on how to make our own Islandberry Crunch? I'd go for that
by clock_flower on May 24, 2022 10:05 PM NST

This could be very fun, or very lame. I will withhold my judgement lol.
by zeelink on May 24, 2022 10:06 PM NST

Ya know, after becoming a fan of Chef PK, I could totally be down for this

But... Neopian foods πŸ€” *thinks of both Meat-Skewered Meat and Sand Grapes"
by jen_aside on May 24, 2022 10:27 PM NST

@1jediboy, Fish Fingers and Custard is a Dr. Who reference, not a recipe, and not original to Neopets.
Ingredients:
1 pack frozen fish fingers.
1 tin custard.

Method:
Heat and serve.

Fish fingers are so bland, it really isn't that bad. (My kids insisted on trying it after the Dr Who episode. Only the once though).

After the Scrappy and Gutterfoot cooking video I think they could do a whole section on omelettes. I'm guessing the cookbook was under development when that was released.
by recklesse on May 24, 2022 11:45 PM NST

I am only interested in a thing like this if it's a physical book I can order off of Amazon or Bookdepository. If it's an "Americans-only PDF file" then screw this idea..

@recklesse: Did you know that they actually used coconut cakes instead of actual fish fingers in the show? Plus I already have two recipes for fish fingers and "custard", so I really don't need one more
by apophis324 on May 24, 2022 11:58 PM NST

----

Wimps!!
by recklesse on May 25, 2022 1:01 AM NST

Stop spending time trying to extract more money from the players and FINISH FIXING THE BROKEN PARTS of NeoPets!!!!

P.S. I very much doubt that I will be renewing my Premium membership if the games are not restored by the time it is due!
by rosamooooo on May 25, 2022 1:13 AM NST

Is it just me or does this sound like they want players to write the content for them?
by mlooshka on May 25, 2022 2:39 AM NST

Remember guys - in order to fix the site... they need money to do so. This is one of the ways to not only do that, but to also bring people back to the website.
by brynchilla on May 25, 2022 5:07 AM NST

Also - I hope it's not just a rip-off of chef_fe. Years ago they used to have a petpage with tons of different recipes based off Neopet dishes.
by brynchilla on May 25, 2022 5:08 AM NST

Sections divided by orogin and food lore would be nice.
by problematicperiplum on May 25, 2022 5:10 AM NST

I'm absolutely positive this isn't going to contain any lore contradictions about the food of Neopia. None at all.
by herdy on May 25, 2022 5:20 AM NST JN Staff

I mean I like cookbooks and I'd rather Neopets not look at NFTs for their income exclusively, so I'd consider getting it.
by kaimactrash on May 25, 2022 7:40 AM NST

Oh oh oh! I wonder if they're going to add a recipe for the most controversial of foods to ever grace the world of Neopia, if only for a day: Another Taco in the Wall~! That would be proof they listen to the players! (NOT)
by apophis324 on May 25, 2022 9:26 AM NST

@apophis324 - WHAT?!?!?!?!

WHERE DID YOU HEAR THAT?!?!?!
by 1jediboy on May 25, 2022 10:16 AM NST

^(about the coconut cakes)
by 1jediboy on May 25, 2022 10:17 AM NST

@1jediboy: Oh ehm.. I read about it! In.. a cookbook.. with a recipe for Fish Fingers and Custard..
I totally think that is a viable source!
by apophis324 on May 25, 2022 10:53 AM NST

At least I hope they'll make pdf version, because shipping gonna kill my funds
by dzufiasta on May 25, 2022 11:04 AM NST

I love cooking and the idea of a Neopian cookbook is absolutely something I'd normally be interested in. But if this is how they're thinking of bringing in money to help fix the site, it's a really, really poor option. As someone else mentioned, it's this cookbook would be a fairly niche market and putting out a book (esp a cookbook, I'm assuming there'd be lots of Neopets artwork, etc and even just printing that isn't cheap) is a pretty expensive endeavour.

Never mind the time needed to make a decent cookbook: picking the concept of the cookbook, coming up with and testing recipes, artwork, the many rounds of editing, etc. I'm also pretty hesitant about it actually being ready for Spring 2023. Not too many of their recent projects have met their timelines, so overall I'm just...really hesitant.

They'd be so much better off to focus their current efforts/resources/budget/etc. on creating a functioning site and then doing other fun projects. If the other idea is using the cookbook to draw non-users to the site, no one's going to do so long term bc the site isn't actually functioning properly.

Having said all that: I'd be super down for some Neopian lore and backstories, especially for characters like Chef Bonju, maybe some storytelling on The Cooking Pot and there are so many Neopian restaurants they could have a selection of menu items for! Kelp Restaurant in particular has some super interesting options I'd be tempted to try.
by surferboard_girl on May 25, 2022 11:13 AM NST

What a cute idea! Kudos to TNT
by parody_ham on May 25, 2022 12:43 PM NST

Hey gang! We let everything you love crash and burn, we lie, we associate with people that verbally abuse you, we try to sell you air... but LOOK! Here's a book.
by roshchodesh on May 25, 2022 1:05 PM NST

p.s. you know what would really, really, really be a cute idea?
Fix
The
Site

Ah-dorable
by roshchodesh on May 25, 2022 1:07 PM NST

I need a good borovan recipe asap. I tried experimenting with my own measurements and ingredients, but every time it turned out disgusting. What am I doing wrong?
by cassine on May 25, 2022 1:34 PM NST

@cassine: Sounds like you're doing it *exactly* right.
by dave on May 25, 2022 2:20 PM NST JN Staff

The idea itself is neat (and they could do a lot lore-wise, like what Minecraft has done with its books), but I don't think this is what Neopets needs right now.

I'd much rather the money being put towards hiring writers, artists, and printing for this book be used to fix the site.
by superhero_moniker on May 25, 2022 3:49 PM NST

To be honest, with each new announcement for Neopets merch, the more and more disappointed I get...
by superhero_moniker on May 25, 2022 3:54 PM NST

@apophis324 - I heard from another source:

The fish fingers and custard were real and Matt Smith actually never liked the taste of it.

Caitlin Blackwood kept messing up the "you're funny" scene so he would have to keep repeating it over and over again.
by 1jediboy on May 25, 2022 11:26 PM NST

@1jediboy: Hmmmm... Well that would be all the more reason to switch to breaded coconut cakes, wouldn't you agree? Whatever the case, it made for a very memorable scene and dish ^^
(Btw, both the recipes I have for Fish Fingers and Custard use actual fish but substitute the custard for something more fitting the fish while still being yellow)
by apophis324 on May 26, 2022 12:20 AM NST

Maybe it's cynicism but it really feels like this is them just trying to capitalize off fans who are already making this kind of content on YouTube/TikTok. Disappointing bc if they did this years ago I'd have been thrilled. It doesn't feel like a truly unique idea has come out of TNT in years- everything good is fan made. (Ie: I do love the fan created color designs but whenever those are compared to their in-house ideas it really shows the enormous gap in creativity)
by ramh0g on May 26, 2022 3:52 AM NST

They really are over the top with the merch releases, it's quite suspicious to me, idk...
by ferinsy on May 26, 2022 5:19 AM NST

@apophis324, If you are substituting both the fish fingers and the custard with other things... it isn't fish fingers and custard.
by recklesse on May 26, 2022 10:02 AM NST

i'm really excited for this!
i've made my own chokato toast before and would love official recipes for chokato, juppie and negg-based foods. some omelettes and jellies are given, and of course hot borovan!

there are so many iconic neopian foods available that this could be a really fun cookbook if they dare to get a little creative. faerie cupcakes and bubbles, kreludan moon pies, nova sponge cakes, ghostkersandwiches, gooplecream and tasty lupe treats would be cute and colourful additions, while stuff like radioactive sloth cake, ergyfruit grog, krakuberry mince pie, chilled eyeball custard, devilish cake and the slime sundae stand out a bit as weird but unique, distinctly neopian dishes.

i really hope they'll go with the fun stuff for this instead of playing it safe with chicken wings and potato pies like so many recent "fantasy" cook books have done. it's an amazing idea and i'm excited to see what it brings!
by rift on May 26, 2022 10:03 AM NST

How about a mystery island cooking pot cook book?
by _moonlightsparks_ on May 26, 2022 2:42 PM NST

they definitely won't include humble pie
by roshchodesh on May 26, 2022 9:22 PM NST

@reckless: Nooo, those recipes both use actual fish with "custard"! It was merely the show that allegedly used coconut cakes with actual custard.
Wait, let me check the recipes I have for their custard.
*poofs for a few minutes*
One uses mustard, mayo, honey and garlic, the other butter, milk, mustard and cheddar. Both recipes recommend using cod or haddock (or tilapia).

Funny how somehow (sorry, my bad) Neopets bringing us a cookbook turned into a conversation about a Whovian staple dish...
by apophis324 on May 27, 2022 12:22 AM NST

I’m still waiting for a canon Neopets/Doctor Who crossover.

⧓
by 1jediboy on May 27, 2022 11:15 AM NST

Don’t apologize. Anything Doctor Who related does nothing but make the conversations better.
by 1jediboy on May 27, 2022 11:17 AM NST

@1jediboy: Oh, you mean like how My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic did that (the crossover, I mean)? XD
by apophis324 on May 28, 2022 1:16 AM NST

Oh! I thought of another point this book should keep in mind, but I know it won't, it just would have been nice if they had considered it: Measurments both in imperial AND metric! If I were to get a copy, I'd have to manually convert all those silly pounds into grams.
by apophis324 on May 29, 2022 12:25 AM NST